February 07, 2013

Poetry in Motion...

 If you were banished to a desert island and could only have the complete works of Shakespeare, the Bible and one song to keep you company, which song would you chose? That's a difficult question to answer and the premise of a much loved BBC radio program Desert Island Discs. A recent guest on the popular program was Mary Berry. I enjoyed listening to the interview and the chosen soundtrack to her life. She said something that resonated with me. She described her family as not the sort that "were sat in some corner with the knees bent reading." This living legend in the world of baking had a busy outdoors family. If her children weren't kept busy then they were getting into trouble. Mary Berry was describing my family!


The vast branches of both our family trees are littered with kin that were by nature not 'sitters'. Oh the stories I could tell! The family trend continues...I run 15-20 miles a week and that's not including the miles I run chasing after Bea! MC is on his bike at least a few times a week. When darkness and ice cast their winter spell he can be found on his turbo trainer in our little kitchen spinning away. We are constantly in motion. I'm swinging my crossed leg as I type. 



It comes as no surprise, via nature or nurture, that Bea is not a 'sitter'. I was scared of our daughter being like us, being constantly in motion. I worried about her struggling in school or irritating her teachers because she might not sit still. In other places our family energy might inspire less than desirable recommendations. My worry and anxiety subsided when a party of sport visited this small island. 

This past summer the Olympics rolled into town and we soaked up as much sport as we could. We attended the men's Olympic road race. As road side spectators we were surrounded by people like us. People that loved sport and motion. It's nice when kindred spirits hang out. 

The London Olympics was a reminder of how important sport is in our family life and the positive side of well practiced, constant and determined movement. Sitting on the roadside cheering on the athletes with MC and Bea is something I'll never forget. We were in our element. Bea still shouts, "GO G.B." from time to time when we're watching other sports!


Wiggo and Team GB riding past...

Hey we're sitting! For about 5 seconds....

Bea and I recently started attending a music and dance class for little ones. She LOVES moving to the music and singing. The other parents comment on how happy she is and how much energy she has. I laugh and say, "yes, she doesn't come from a family of sitters." I revel in Bea's joy for life and her energy. Like many children she seems happiest when she is running, twirling, skipping, jumping and marching by divine right. When I see her smiling face as she moves forward I'm reminded of the feeling that I have when I run. Our family is a wealth of energy in forward motion, long may it continue...

Bea gearing up for a run with mom...

Scooting...

Twirling at the seaside...

"I don't even know what I was running for - I guess I just felt like it." 
~ Holden Caulfield from the Catcher in the Rye via The Guardian







No comments: